This blog post is a little different from the rest, every Sunday morning (well most Sunday’s) I like to enjoy homemade American pancakes. Through alot of trial and error, I managed to discover the perfect pancake recipe, and I’d love love you to try it!
This recipe makes 3 large sizes pancakes (enough for one person) – just double the ingredients if you are making if for more people 🙂
What ingredients you will need:
- 100g plain flour
- Vanilla essence
- 1 medium sized egg
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Small amount of butter
What baking equipment you will need:
- Small frying pan
- Large mixing bowl
- Whisk, teaspoon, knife and utensil (spatula etc)
- Weigh out 100g of plain flour and add into your mixing bowl, measure 1 teaspoon of baking powder and add to the plain flour
- Crack 1 medium egg into the mixing bowl with the plain flour
- Add a small amount of milk (approx 2 teaspoons) with the flour, powder and egg – start to whisk
- You need the pancake mixture to be runny – but not too runny. If you’re not 100% sure on how much milk to add, add a little bit at a time and keep whisking – practice makes perfect
- Keep whisking, make sure your pancake mixture is runny and smooth – without any lumps!
- Add 1 teaspoon of liquid vanilla essence and mix
- Once your mixture is ready, place your frying pan on the hob, turn the gas on – wait for it to heat up slightly, then add a very small amount of butter into the pan – move the pan around so the butter melts and covers
- Then you’re ready to go! – start to pour your pancake mixture. Don’t over do it though – they rise alot. Once you have poured your mixture into the pan – move the pan so the mixture covers the frying pan’s surface.
- When you see the pancake starting to bubble around the edges – it’s time to flip it over – your choice here – flip it or use a utensil (I usually keep it safe and use a utensil)
- Make sure both sides of your pancake are browned – push down with a utensil to make sure no raw mixture leaks out
- And there you go – one perfect pancake
Now all you need to do is repeat, add a small amount of butter for each pancake you make. You can also add ingredients to your pancake mixture before you pour it into the pan – I love to use chocolate M&M’s – they just melt inside the pancake and it’s glorious!
It all comes down to the toppings, you can either go super healthy and add fruit, yogurt and coconut fakes or go down the route of making it as calorific as possible (usually what I do). The choice is yours – I would encourage you to experiment with different toppings and sauces.
I hope you like my recipe for American pancakes – and they turn out well for you, I hope you find them as tasty as I do.